Monday, 5 March 2007

Manchester Craft & Design Centre

This weekend I visited the Manchester Craft & Design Centre, where several artists (textile, jewellery, glass, ceramics, photography and painting) have workshops and showrooms within the centre. I was particularly impressed by Lee Page Hanson's ceramic tiles with bird and lace reliefs, similar to what we have been doing in our ceramics taster. On a larger scale, Linzi Ramsden made pieces focussing on floral designs in particular dandelions and using what appeared to be a slip decorating technique where slip is applied to carved out or impressed designs. There were also some original jewellers incorporating buttons into silverwork.

This visit did get me thinking about how viable it would be to rent one of these workshops - do the artists here make enough money to cover their costs and earn a decent salary? The craft centre was quite hard to find so I imagine you would not just stumble upon it, and many of the prices were more than you might spend on a whim.

No comments: